Let's Get Technical With Allergies | BEDIN 5

11/05/2015

Hello, and welcome to my blog post about my allergy : Lactose or dairy if you're not sophisticated. For those of you who don't know, lactose is the sugar in milk. Some people are allergic to this sugar and can't have any dairy at all, like me. My body will not tolerate any dairy what so ever. However, some people who have this allergy can have some dairy products. For example, one of my friends is also lactose intolerant and she can have cheese. It doesn't affect her at all. But remember, not everyones allergy acts the same. Some people get nauseous or get sick when they have dairy and some people have bad stomach pains. For me, when I have dairy, about 2-3 hours after I have the dairy I start getting really bad stomach pains and I have a panic\anxiety attack because of it. My body will not tolerate cheese, ice cream, milk, yogurt, anything made of milk. Even the slightest bit of cheese will set me off. I'm Italian so it's difficult because we put cheese on EVERYTHING. Plus I am the only one in my family who has this allergy. But, thank the Lord, my body will tolerate chocolate. I am so happy! So, now onto the science of being lactose intolerant. It's actually pretty interesting.

Everyone has enzymes.The enzymes in the lining of your stomach help you digest certain types of things inside your food. The enzyme that you don't have when you are lactose intolerant is the lactose enzyme. With out that enzyme, when your body takes in something with dairy in it, the first thing it does is try to get it out of your system because it can't digest it. That's when the reactions start to happen. Your stomach hurts or you get nauseous. When people are lactose intolerant, they are either born without the enzyme in their body, they lost that enzyme from a virus or sickness or their enzyme starts disappearing as they get older. That's why some people get this allergy at an old age. I lost my enzyme from a horrible stomach virus. You can build back that enzyme by taking vitamins and taking in little amounts of dairy but I have to say, it's not worth the pain. You can find alternatives that taste and make you feel better. Or if you are in a situation where you can't find anything without dairy in it, Lactaid is your BFF. It basically builds your enzyme temporarily and long enough to digest the lactose in your food safely without giving you a reaction. But there is a limit to how much dairy you can take in when you take the Lactaid. It only gives you enough enzyme to digest some dairy so you have to be careful. I usually take 4-6 Lactaids because my stomach is very sensitive to lactose. But yeah.

That was the science of being lactose intolerant! Of course I am NOT a professional doctor. I am 13, not 31. My doctor actually told me this when she was helping me with the stomach problems I've had in the past.But if you have any other questions, ask Google because I probably won't have the answer to it. This is all I know and all I've learned so I don't know everything. Thanks so so much for reading and I will see you tomorrow for another BEDIN! Don't forget to join my blog to be notified when I make a new post! Byeee!

XOXO Bella

You Might Also Like

0 comments