How NOT To Overthink

6/10/2016


I am a HUGE over thinker. I overthink anything and everything. Whether it be overthinking about the future, overthinking and try to figure out someone else's thoughts about me, overthinking about a situation or overthinking about something I have the urge to do, but I know I can't do it. To sum it up, I am a big worrier and it's not good. I mean, it's okay to overthink once in a while or if you've had a bad day and you just need to think about it a lot to try and come to a conclusion. It's just not healthy to do it every single day. That's my problem. When I say I overthink all the time, I mean ALL THE TIME. It doesn't matter what situation it is or whatever it's about, I'm constantly overthinking. It's not mentally healthy for me at all. The quote in that picture above is what overthinking feels like for me. I take a small situation or a little thought and twist it and ruin it and make it seem like it's a thousand times worse than it actually is. I'll be happy, smiling and laughing with my friends one moment, and then when a certain thought crosses my mind, my smile fades and I just want to sink into a corner and cry or have someone hug me as I cry into them. That actually happened a couple days ago. I've been mostly overthinking about next year and losing the people I care about. I just needed to cry and hug someone. I did cry and got hugs from my friends. It felt good afterwards. But that isn't the point of this post. Whenever I overthink, I don't always have my friends around to hug me when I cry. That is why I have come up with some ways on how to NOT overthink!

Way #1: Try To Get Your Mind Off Of It

This is something I am still trying to master, and that is trying to get your mind off of the thoughts in your head. Try listening to music or reading a book. For me, listening to music lightens my mood a little bit and gets the thought out of my head. I just focus on the lyrics and that seems to work for me. If music won't help you, try reading a book and try to imagine what the characters look like or what their voices sound like to try and distract your mind away from your thoughts.

If books and music doesn't help go for a run or, if your lazy like me, walk or ride a bike. I think fresh air can kind of help you clear your mind. Going outside is good for everybody. Either that, or just get out of your house. Get out of your bedroom and go outside. Go out for frozen yogurt with your friends, hang out with people who you know will distract your from your thoughts, go see a movie, go to the gym. Just try to get yourself out of the house to distract you. Or if getting out of the house isn't for you, try going in your backyard. Or got to a different part of your house, like instead of sitting in your room go spend some time with your family or go to the kitchen and eat lots of food.

Way #2: Don't Think

I know this one is basically impossible, but just try it. Try and just distract yourself from your thoughts and just don't think. Just sit back and close your eyes and just don't think. I know it's hard because I've tried it and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Just try your hardest to relax and not think for like the tenth time.

Way #3: Talk To Someone You Trust

If you've tried the last two ways, then this option might be the one for you. In my opinion, the last thing you should try is talking to somebody. This thoughts are yours and some of these thoughts you might not be comfortable with sharing. Make sure that sure that the person you choose to talk to is someone you trust, sharing your the thoughts inside your head can be hard sometimes. I know for me it was and still is hard for me to tell people what's going on inside my head. I overthink about the legit stupid little things that when I rethink them, they were pointless things to over think about and just stupid. If you are going to talk to someone, make sure that you only share what you are comfortable with. You don't have to tell them every little thing. Tell them the thoughts that are mostly bothering you and try and forget the little ones that are just there.

Hopefully, if you are a huge over thinker like me, you found this a little helpful. I know overthinking sucks, but you just have to try and let your thoughts go. The only person making the thoughts twist and turn like that is you. It's your brain that hold your thoughts, and the only person who can change them is you. So try your hardest not to overthink the little things. I know that I am trying my hardest to keep myself from overthinking, and I think I'm doing pretty well. 

Well, that was all of the ways I have so far. If I have any more ways I will definitely make another post about it! Thank you so much for reading! If you have any other ways that you use, leave them in the comments. Join my blog to be notified when I make a new post and I will see you later. Byeee!

XOXO Bella


You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. I do the exact same! Over worrying is so irritating because it's barely ever as massive as you build it up to be! I find writing down or talking about whatever's bugging me as the best way to help relieve it xx

    http://everynewpage.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete